The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Schooldays 1

I came across this junior school report the other day. I was pleased to find it, as they lost my senior school reports at some point. So "very intelligent" (this is Cwmbran) and "easily distracted and does not put enough effort into his work ... has done some pleasing art work". Not too much change there, perhaps. "Keen participant in sporting activities and is very interested in science" looks distinctly off the radar but I assure you that it was true then even if it is not immediately apparent now I'm in my fifties.

No comments: