The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

TTRMOMM 06

Thinking about it, it's not just apple pie or jam turnovers for that matter but pastry itself. My son Dewi is doing GCSE food tech (cookery!) and has to prepare a meal. He was sorting it out last night and asked what does "trim and pinch" mean. I was immediately able to tell him as I've watched my mother a thousand times place the rolled out pastry over the plate (she used to use a pyrex one), trim off the excess, then having added the apple (always very mushy - just like this series I guess) and the top layer of pastry, she would pinch around before putting those all important two leaves in the centre. Ah, nostalgia. It's just not what it used to be.

No comments: