The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 01 1974

The first diary entry I ever made was on the first day of 1974. I was 14. I only kept going just over a month but it makes mildly interesting reading. I'd been to the watchnight service the night before to welcome in the new year and went in the evening to a prayer meeting led by one of the deacons. It's all written up rather melodramatically and I'm clearly not being the good son I should have been and so feel bad about it. The final line is quite powerful given that I wrote it 37 years ago - "Remember, on Earth, time is precious, use it well."

No comments: