The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Famous Trees


I'm not sure how many famous trees there are in the world but my wife and I had our pictures taken with two of them this week. Both are looking rather decrepit (watch it!) but have some claim at least to antiquity and fame. The first is the apple tree in the orchard at Woolsthorpe Manor which has some claim to have helped Newton thinking about gravity. (The original tree did go down but a new one grew in its place). The second is the Major oak in Sherwood Forest, which appears to be over a thousand years old so was around in Robin Hood's day.

No comments: