The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

My Perfect Cousin


Thought of this the other day for some reason. Justa  great song from the punk era. Simple tune, brilliant lyrics (He thinks that I'm a cabbage Cos I hate University Challenge is perhaps my favourite)  

2 comments:

Paul Burgess said...

Saw the Undertones supporting the Tom Robinson Band. It was originally advertised as Third World so we were a bit disappointed.
Interesting that you draw attention to the lyrics. Irish bands then to have good lyrics. I can't speak for now but visiting Ireland as a child I remember how my grandfather enjoyed poetry and other literature as his evening's entertainment. Thomas Cahill also makes reference to this in How the Irish Saved Civilisation. Might also add that the Irish have more Nobel laureates for literature than any other nation.
Do the Welsh traditionally enjoy a good read?

Gary Brady said...

2 4 6 8 Motorway! The more I think about it the more I wonder quite what punk was.
They say that the Irish are just enjoying playing with a new language. May be the reurgence of Welsh has denied us monoglot English speakers some fine lyricism. The Anglo-welsh certainly don't have the same reputation (apart from Dylan Thomas).