The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The work of University Christian Unions

Along with a few others I had a brilliant email this last weekend from an old college friend. It went like this
 
.... It was around this time 35 years ago that I first heard the gospel preached at Fresher's Tea in Alex Basement with the text 'You must be born again'.
By God's grace He saved me and has kept me since.
And you were all there too (maybe not all right at the beginning) and God has kept you too.

Though I have not seen some of you for quite a while now, your friendship is still special to me and you, your wives and families are all still in my thoughts and prayers regularly. I say that to encourage you in your lives and ministries. 35 years is a long time praying but hearing how God has worked and is continuing to work in your lives shows that God has been faithful in answering those prayers.

To God be the glory.

'being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus' ...
 
It's a reminder I guess to pray for the work in colleges today and to be thankful for all that has happened in the past.

No comments: