The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Speaking on 1662 in Wrexham

It was gratifying to see fifty or sixty last Saturday night, gathered at Borras Park Evangelical Church in Wrexham, many of the faces more or less familiar to me. I was speaking again on 1662 and tried once more to tailor it to the audience by looking not only at Joseph Allein but also Philip Henry and mentioning two or three other locals including Judge Jeffreys (as the church is in Jeffreys Road). We had a good question session and sold a few more books (the book now has a second impression, which is good). I also got to spend a short while with my good frienc Chris Buckingham (to whom the book is dedicated). The journey there had been a little traumatic in that I left later than intended as our car broke down the night before and could not be fixed so I had to hire a car. Coming back was a breeze as I had an extra hour to play with.

No comments: