The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Big round up

We're over half way through the month already and I have been rather slow reporting on what's been going on. Sometimes there is so much on that there is not time to write things up.
At the beginning of the month I spoke twice on the Great Ejection of 1662. At the Westminster Fellowship on the first I chiefly worked my way through a work by John Corbet that was written as an apologia for those who were ejected in 1662 (see here). It was good to be with men I know and respect to discuss these important matters. Then on the Saturday (6th) I was at Buckingham Baptist Chapel, Bristol speaking to the Clifton and Bristol Protestant League. This time I covered the persecution that went on, as set out in one of the chapters of the book. There were good sales of the book at both venues so that was good.
On the following Monday I was at the LTS for the Theological Study Group where we were discussing the book The Mission of the church by Kevin de Young and Greg Gilbert. Clearly written, although it is for the American market it says some helpful things regaridng what is mission ans what are good deeds. Worth reading. In the evening there was a committee for the LIP down in Soho, which went off okay. I was at LTS again this Tuesday (16th) for the Board meeting. Everything seems to be going ahead very encouragingly.
 
 
 
 
The next morning I was down at the National Gallery near Trafalgar Square. I am attending a course of lectures on the history of art and our lecturer had a arranged for an expert to show us five or six renaissance works (Leonardo's Virgin of the Rocks, Crivelli, Titian, etc). Very interesting and informative, though as ever in this country when it came to Bible knowledge there was a slight slip I noticed.
 
On Saturday my father-in-law took us to the Prince of Wales Theatre for Let it be, which was a brilliant Beatles tribute band with knobs on. I liked Two of us best and became more convinced of the merits of While my guitar gentle weeps.

No comments: