The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 19 2013

1 Corinthians 4:1-7 in the morning and most of Numbers 33 in  the evening, preceded by communion. There was a South African passing through in the morning, said he'd been baptised the week before in Durban. Fascinating. In the evening I tried to relate the stages of Israel's journey to the Christian life. I wanted to finish with a testimony of a Christian near the end and remembered the testimony I had read in Grace Magazine this month from Esther Childress who died last December at 14. The testimony is here on youtube. It was quite moving simply to read out such a testimony.

No comments: