The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The film project

As I feel a little better I'm reading more and watching films less, but I thought I might just mention another six I have seen recently.
 
1. 1967 The Producers
2. 1968 The Boston strangler
3. 1991 The Fisher king
4. 2006 Employee of the month
5. 2009 Georgia O'Keeffe
6. 2011 The adjustment bureau
 
I was aware of The Producers but had not watched it through. It is the mildly amusing story of two men who think they can make money by producing a flop musical. Just when they think they have managed it the thing (Spring time for Hitler) turns out to be a success. It works well, unlike the much less amusing Employee of the month which would be okay as a half hour sitcom but not  feature film. The Boston Strangler is an interesting period piece with a stellar role from Tony Curtis. I'd never heard of Georgia O'Keeffe, though I recognised the paintings. This made for TV bi-opic starring Jeremy Irons illustrates well the sheer impossibility of living happily outside God's law. I had seen The adjustment bureau (Emily Blunt, Matt Damon) in the cinema when it was released but had forgotten all about it. Tackling the ever present topic of predestination and free will, it struggles to come up with a rationale. What a blessing to have a Calvinistic understanding of such matters. Perhaps the best of this particular bunch was The Fisher King with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams. it is too long and needs drastic cutting down but if you persevere it makes a bold attempt to tackle difficult subject matter. Terry Gilliam's Pythonesque paw prints are all over it.

 

No comments: