The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

In praise of assistants

While at the hospital the other day I met up with someone who is a contemporary with me with regards to the heart by-pass op. We are comrades in the wars, as it were. It was good to see him looking well. At one point he said that all was well and that his assistant was dealing with it all. He is an artist and for just a moment there was a look in his eye that said "And perhaps, I'm superfluous. They can probably carry on without me for years to come."
I know the feeling. My fellow elder and my assistant at the church have got on with things through my illness in such a way that I not only have non worries but can't think of what I might worry about. I got a similar impression down at St John's Wood Road where the assistant pastor seemed to have it all in hand.
Even biblically think of a Barnabas or a Luke say.
Assistants - the unsung heroes of many walks in life.

No comments: