The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Popular songs that feature spoken parts

1. The Contours - Do you love me (You broke my heart 'Cause I couldn't dance You didn't even want me around And now I'm back to let you know I can really shake 'em down)
2. Thriller - Michael Jackson ([Vincent Price]
Darkness falls across the land The midnight hour is close at hand Creatures crawl in search of blood To terrorize y'awl's neighbourhood And whosoever shall be found Without the soul for getting down Must stand and face the hounds of hell And rot inside a corpse's shell The foulest stench is in the air The funk of 40,000 years And grizzly ghouls from every tomb Are closing in to seal your doom And though you fight to stay alive Your body starts to shiver For no mere mortal can resist The evil of the thriller Can you dig it?! [into maniacal laugh, in deep echo]
3. Are you lonesome tonight - Elvis Presley ( I wonder if you're lonesome tonight You know someone said that the world's a stage And each must play a part. Fate had me playing in love you as my sweet heart. Act one was when we met, I loved you at first glance You read your line so cleverly and never missed a cue Then came act two, you seemed to change and you acted strange And why I'll never know. Honey, you lied when you said you loved me And I had no cause to doubt you. But I'd rather go on hearing your lies Than go on living without you. Now the stage is bare and I'm standing there With emptiness all around And if you won't come back to me Then make them bring the curtain down.)
4. Chantilly lace - The Big Bopper (Hello, baby Yeah, this is the Big Bopper speakin' Ha ha ha ha ha, oh you sweet thing Do I what? Will I what? Oh baby, you know what I like)
5. Green green grass of home - Tom Jones (Then I awake and look around me, at the four grey walls that surround me and I realise, yes, I was only dreaming. For there's a guard and there's a sad old padre - arm in arm we'll walk at daybreak. Again I'll touch the green, green grass of home.)
6. Leader of the pack - The Shangrilas (Mm--"Is she really going out with him? "Well, there she is, Let's ask her" "Betty, is that Jimmy's ring you're wearing?" "Mm-hm" "Gee, it must be great riding with him" "Is he picking you up after school today?" "Mm-mm" "By the way, where did you meet him?")
7. When the man comes around - Johnny Cash ("And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder One of the four beasts saying, 'Come and see.' and I saw, and behold a white horse" There's a man goin' 'round takin' names And he decides who to free and who to blame Everybody won't be treated all the same There'll be a golden ladder reachin' down The hairs on your arm will stand up At the terror in each sip and in each sup Will you partake of that last offered cup Or disappear into the potter's ground ... Till armageddon no shalam, no shalom Then the father hen will call his chickens home The wise man will bow down before the throne And at his feet they'll cast their golden crowns When the man comes around Whoever is unjust let him be unjust still Whoever is righteous let him be righteous still Whoever is filthy let him be filthy still Listen to the words long written down ... And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts And I looked, and behold a pale horse And his name that sat on him was death, and hell followed with him")
8. Bye Bye Baby - Four Seasons (If you hate me after what I say  Can't put it off any longer I just gotta tell ya anyway)
9. Bullet the blue sky - U2 (This guy comes up to me His face red like a rose in a thorn bush Like all the colours of a royal flush And he's peeling off those dollar bills Slapping them down One hundred, two hundred And I can see those fighter planes And I can see those fighter planes Across the mud huts where the children sleep Through the alleys of a quiet city street You take the staircase to the first floor Turn the key and slowly unlock the door As a man breathes into a saxophone And through the walls you hear the city groan Outside is America Outside is America, America Across the field you see the sky ripped open See the rain through a gaping wound Pounding on the women and children Who run Into the arms Of America)
10. Ain't no mountain high enough - Diana Ross (Listen baby, ain't no mountain high, Ain't no valley low, ain't no river wide enough baby If you need me call me no matter where you are, No matter how far; don't worry baby Just call my name; I'll be there in a hurry You don't have to worry,)

No comments: