The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 7 2016 Plus

We are in Aberystwyth again. Yesterday morning I took my turn on duty back at home so missed the first of my father-in-laws three messages on The Road to Emmaus (Luke 24). I tuned into the Metropolitan Tabernacle service. Ibrahim Ag Mohammed was preaching from 1 Timothy 6 and it was good to hear. In the evening I heard Geoff give his second message, very evangelistic it was. It was nice to see lots of different people and chat. He gave his third message this morning - again in Seion, Baker Street (not Bethel as usual). I led in prayer and read the Word to start as is our tradition. Looking forward to the week of conference. I liked his Douglas MacMillan story about the teenage boys asking for membership and being asked whether they had changed. They replied that they thought it was Douglas who had changed. About six months before his preaching had suddenly started to get interesting!

No comments: