The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 21 2016

I am often not here in Childs Hill for the third Sunday in August so it was a change to be preaching yesterday. As expected, many were way, including all the other officers (for evening communion I served the seven or eight present myself - we read the parable of the talents). We ended up around 30 in the morning and about 12 in the evening, I think. I turned again to Acts 12 in the morning, looking this time at the opening verses and looking at persecution, providence and prayer. In the evening we turned to John 14:2, always a great verse to consider.
As a footnote I add that there was a pigeon present in the morning. We knew one had got in the day before but couldn't get it out (someone had already got one of them out). It roosted in the eve above me for most of the service but then moved early in the sermon. Then suddenly toward the end of the sermon it decided to leave through the door. I asked the steward to quickly close it before it decided to return.

No comments: