The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Wigmore Evangelical Free Church

On Tuesday night I was speaking at Wigmore EFC in Rainham, near Gillingham in Kent. It was the second of two rallies held annually (the next will be next Spring) by the Wigmore Church (pastored by Timothy Wood) along with Waterford House, Strood (Norman Hopkins), Aenon Baptist Chatham (Paul Relf) and I think Grays Grace Baptist (Grays Baptist indeed) where the minister is Kevin Felix- Hollington (who I have met but had trouble recalling I'm afraid). It was great to see around eighty present - mostly older people but a liberal sprinkling of younger people too. I preached the sermon on faith that I preached up in Yorkshire in September (and in South Africa too this month). I think it was appreciated. I was thankful too for the hospitality of Tim and Susan Wood and their family as well as to see again retired ministers and wives, Robert and Glenys Winston (Tim's in-laws) and Geoff and Christine Gobbett. A lovely evening.

1 comment:

Jonathan Hunt said...

The minister at Grays is Bruce Massop. Kevin is at Halling.