We note with sadness the passing of a stalwart of the faith in Andrew Davies. When I went to London Theological Seminary in the early eighties, he was one of four Welshmen who did the bulk of the teaching. (The others were Graham Harrison, Philip Eveson and Hywel Jones). Mr Davies took us for church history (except that for one term he was off with a back problem) and it was often noted that his lectures became more like preaching than lecturing. I remember him telling us at some point that when we preach we are to strike when the iron is hot not to make it hot, an idea that he said is in Christmas Evans. I also remember him asking the class what is the purpose of preaching. Any number of answers were given but none that would satisfy him. Eventually, and I will never forget it, he said in a way that only Andrew Davies could, that the purpose of preaching is to move, to move the people. I may have resisted the idea at the time, even though I had already learned it from my pastor, Derek Garwood. Over the years I have come to believe it more and more strongly. Andrew Davies himself was always moved when he preached and he often moved the congregation too. What a loss. We pray for the family that remain.
The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment