The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting November 23 2016

We were altogether again last Wednesday in the parlour. We had a members meeting the next night but people were still happy to come out. Having finished 2 Timothy I was not sure what to do next but on checking my records I noticed that I have never done a series on the 15 Psalms of Ascent (although I have preached on two of them as one offs; according to my reckoning I have actually preached on less than half the psalms - I've preached only about 60 or 70 of them). So without committing myself to a series we looked at Psalm 120 ans that went quite well, It is psalm about persecution really but has more to say than that. We also had a good time of prayer. We preach peace but people are all for war - against God and against each other. How patient we need to be.

No comments: