The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 13 2016

We began with an all age Sunday School lesson on church membership. We have lost a bit of impetus there and we were very few. The service began with the two minutes silence followed, as is our usual custom, by Our God our help in ages past. I preached from the next part of Galatians. It did seem a little basic, perhaps, but to simply assume that we are all on the same page is usually a mistake. 
We were a good number morning and evening, though there were people away as ever. Some had let me know others I'm not sure. I'm sure people don't realise how much they are missed when they go awol. Perhaps I should make it clearer. Our new Iranian friend brought her young son for the first time. Three people were there who are not happy in the church they currently attend. That is always a difficult situation but we will take things step by step. In the evening someone turned up who has been missing nearly three weeks. That was a great encouragement. Two people also asked about getting involved in the young people's work, which is also encouraging.
In the evening I preached from Matthew 11 where Jesus castigates the towns where most of his miracles were done. Sobering stuff.
We had a fellowship lunch after the morning service. We were glad that our eldest member who rarely gets out these days came along. I interviewed one of our seminary students and he had interesting news for us. I'm glad I did that.
For some reason as I looked out on the congregation on Sunday night and as the already quite large moon shone down on us I felt more encouraged than I have for a while somehow. Nothing much had changed beyond a greater willingness to accept who we have rather than who we wish to have and a new resolve to track down some of the missing sheep. We are bound to go up and down in our feelings.

No comments: