The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, March 26 2017

Once again we were quite full in the morning and quite a small group in the evening. Some of our students are back which added to our numbers, though others were away. Just two Iranians again but lots of others fro different backgrounds. One couple are now back from a few weeks in New Zealand. Someone else will be in The Philippines for the next six months. One of my sons and his wife were there. They noticed how different the congregation was even from just four or five weeks back. In the evening a fairly new person said they wanted to talk after about a problem. I couldn't guess what it was but it turned out to be sleeping. Thankfully I was able to put my hand on Adrian Reynolds' little book on the subject so I hope that helped.
I preached in the morning again from Acts 2 and I hope was helpful and evangelistic. In the evening I preached from that great text 1 Peter 2:7.

No comments: