The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Songs that reference T Rex or Bolan

Marc Bolan with The Ramones 1976
1. Mott the Hoople/All the young dudes
The television man is crazy Saying we're juvenile delinquent wrecks Man I need a TV when I've got T. Rex Hey brother you guessed I'm a dude
2. The Who/You better you bet
I love to hear you say my name especially when you say yes I got your body right now on my mind and I drunk myself blind to the sound of old T.Rex To the sound of old T.Rex - who's next?
3. The Ramones/Rock'n'roll radio
Will you remember Jerry Lee, John Lennon, T. Rex and Ol' Moulty? It's the end, the end of the 70's It's the end, the end of the century
4. Dada/Posters
She locked the door behind me she lit a candle Then blew it out said the moon would do just fine The lizard king and T. Rex for wall paper Above her bed hung a No-Parking sign
5. Zodiac Mindwarp/Prime Mover
Yeah yeah yeah yeah Well I love TV and I love T. Rex I can see through your skirt I've got x-ray spex
6. R.E.M./The Wake Up Bomb
Practice my T. Rex moves and make the scene get drunk and sing along to Queen
7. B A Robertson/Kool in the Kaftan
Do yourself a favour Don't you savour All that hippy thing find what's next Hey man don't you stop and pray man Go out and buy T Rex
8. Smog/Floating
Floating Hear a name From which planet Do you beckon I don't reckon It could be too far from here I'll bet you look like Marc Bolan's girlfriend
9. Kate Bush/Blow away (For Bill)
Put out the light, then, put out the light Vibes in the sky invite you to dine Dust to dust Blow to blow Bolan and Moony are heading the show tonight
10. Devendra Benhart/The Beatles Yo sí oigo a (I have listened to) Donovan. Yo sí oigo a Marc Bolan. Yo sí oigo a Ben Chasny. A Six Organs me gusta a mí.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list! And also there's this one: https://genius.com/Peter-sinfield-still-lyrics

Beb0 said...

"el rey del glam" from alaska and dinarama, spanish band. Glam rock also arrived in Spain, the singer was a fan of Bolan and Bowie, in the song she says "you have stayed in 73, with Bowie and T. Rex"

Gary Brady said...

Thanks for these extras. I also read recently that Rod Stewart wrote a tribute to Marc Bolan a few years back. It begins
Born to boogie
He stood five-foot-four
But was a giant of his generation
Just an Eastern kid
Who became a rock 'n' roll sensation
A dandy of a superstar
Who led a sexual revolution
Now, when he played guitar
He was a rock god, baby-face assassin ...