The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Goodbye Christopher Robin


The three of us (as we are now) went off to the cinema this week to see Goodbye Christopher Robin. I thought it was very good, with no objectionable scenes (the PG certificate is because the footage includes war scenes). Having a soft spot, like so many others, for Winnie the Pooh (the books rather than the Disney film not that I dislike that at all) it was good to get the background story, which I presume is accurate.
Not wanting to spoil it for others, I particularly enjoyed a scene where Christopher Robin's parent send him a special musical present. (I'd like to do the same for my grandsons but could never afford such an extravagance). I also thought the scenes near the end gave a real insight into the English way of doing things - very buttoned up. The Milnes were at the same time, I guess, quite eccentric yet very ordinary. I thought the piece of information about Christopher Robin supplied at the end was absolutely fascinating.
So, a really good film, well worth seeing.

No comments: