The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Saturday Night and Lord's Day, October 7/8 2017

It was my privilege over the weekend in the Railway Mission in Norwich. On the Saturday night I preached for the East Anglia Bible Rally on the first part of Galatians 3. Simon Gay chaired. The place was pretty full and it was good to meet some old friends such as Hugh and Lois Collier and others. The rally is arranged among seven or so evangelical churches in the Norwich area and has been going for over twenty years. I was last there in November 2008.
The next day I preached morning and afternoon in the same place at the regular services of the Evangelical Church. Again there was a good though smaller attendance. It was encouraging to see such a varied congregation and goodlistening. I tackled Matthew 11:29 in the morning and Stephen - a hero for our times in the afternoon, from Acts 6.
It was nice to chat over lunch with Luther Chaplin and with other folk at the church on the Sunday and to be looked after otherwise by Mr and Mrs Gilbert in their new location.
It all served to confirm my conviction that if we stay calm and faithfully preach the Word progress can be made in God's goodness.
I made my way up to Norwich via Peasenhall and Denton. I wanted to see those places because they are the villages where the preacher John Hurrion (d 1735) served.

No comments: