The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

A day off


In theory, I am supposed to have a day off each week. It doesn't always work out so well but I managed one this week. It is perhaps worth describing to help me and may be others. What wnet well and not so well is fairly obvious I think.
A snag with my current day off perhaps is that my wife is out at work all day on that day. Anyway, it starts with a shower, breakfast (porrifge) and devotions and not far in involves taking the dog for a walk, followed by a coffee with the newspaper. I like to do the crossword and one or two other puzzles.
I wandered into the local bookshop and one or two other shops before heading back home where there was quite a bit of football to watch and a little bit of time for reading. (I am reading a book about the Kings and Queens of England at the moment). I also did a bit of blogging here and elsewhere, worked on a book I am trying to write and dealt with one or two more urgent emails.
In theory, a day off should allow time for some DIY. This week I actually did a job that has been waiting about a year or more - to put a latch on the front garden gate.
We had home made burgers for tea, which was a treat. I did spend some time with Eleri but I think this World Cup is going to be a challenge for her. We would normally have sat down and watched something on TV together but she is not a football fan (nor am I really but more than she). I did a bit more walking in the early evening to get my fitbit tally to a more respectable level.

No comments: