The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day off week 30 2019


I did take a formal day off last week and want to record it to encourage myself and other ministers to take it seriously. I chose Thursday, which turned out to be the hottest day of the year, etc. As we are now in the holiday season I spent the morning preparing for Sunday as I had rather frittered parts of the first three days of the week. The day was then dominated by two activities. First, I went with Eleri down to the Hilton on Park Lane for tea. This is not our usual patter. This was a kind gift from members of the church who arranged it in celebration of my turning 60 this year. Getting there was tough in the heat but then we sat in the lovely and cool lobby at the Hilton and then went into their Podium restaurant where we enjoyed open sandwiches, scones, beautiful cakes, tea and a champagne alternative. Very nice indeed. We then headed home and binge watched most of the BBC drama Keeping Faith. Can't recommend this to everyone due to the swearing but it is an amazingly good drama on its own terms. In Faith Howells they have created a very real flawed but attractive figure who is compelling. The supporting cast are brilliant too. The drama is recorded in Welsh and in English. My Welsh is insufficient to enjoy it. Eleri tells me, however, that because the Welsh one needs to be shorter to allow for S4C adverts there are minor plot differences, which is always interesting. Good day then.

No comments: