The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day in Bradford on Avon


I was preaching last Lord's Day in Bradford on Avon. It was a full day as they begin with Sunday School where I gave my paper on John Cennick (this time entitled The Apostle of Wiltshire). I preached on Ephesians 2:8-10 and Isaiah 42:8. It was good to be there. We know quite a few there to some extent including the previous pastor Robert Oliver and his wife Rachel. We also know the present pastor, Robert Strivens. He an his wife were with us 10 years before moving there. It is an ageing congregation but faithful and prayerful. One oddity is that we had lunch with Eleri's sister and family. With several others they no longer belong to Bradford but worship in a new church in nearby Hilperton (where I have also preached in the past). Not all the issues that led to this state of affairs have been fully resolved or seem likely to be, sadly. It was good to be there, nevertheless. The sermons are currently on the church website. Reuben Saywell was preaching here.

No comments: