The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 8 2019 Plus


This weekend I was down in Wiltshire once again - preaching this time at Providence Baptist Chapel for Guy Davies at the church's anniversary. There was a Saturday afternoon meeting to which those from other churches were invited and we had a decent turn out for the meeting in the large chapel, followed by a nice tea. Psalm 133 had gone well at a recent midweek meeting and so I decided to look at that - it seemed an appropriate subject for a church anniversary. What I had not calculated on was the presence of at least some who were once in the same church but not now. Anyway, where angels fear to tread ... I put it down to the providence of God. It was nice to chat with Dr Oliver and others afterwards.
I spent the night with a widower in the church who I had met some years ago at a Grace Baptist Assembly. John is well on in age and not so well but he looked after me very well and we had some sweet fellowship. I noted how we were both converted through evangelists - they really have a knack of reaping.
Sunday went fine as we looked at John 4:13, 14 and 1 Corinthians  15:55-57 in the large back room. I found there were people I had met before and other connections, which is always delightful. I had a lovely afternoon with Guy and Sarah who saw me int the train to London after a quick look at the Westbury white horse. See here. (I had come by car with the family en route to Cardiff).

No comments: