The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

"Day off" Week 7 2020


As noted in the past the luxury of a proper day off is not always possible and this has been one of those weeks. I have had to stagger things. So I went to the cinema on Monday evening (and saw A beautiful day in the neighbourhood - more on that later) and also watched a good lot of TV the next evening. The bulk of Tuesday was spent (mostly) in the waiting room of a suite of law courts as a member of the church was involved in a hearing there. I was in the court room at one point but only briefly. I enjoyed fellowship with a fellow minister, a member of the church and relatives of the church member who had to be in the hearing. I also got a little reading done (Steve Turner on The Titanic).

No comments: