The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Liar, Lunatic or Lord


I was in a charity shop the other day and I saw a 2014 pocket edition of C S Lewis's 1950 work The Lion the witch and the wardrobe (see here) and bought it to go in my coat pocket. They say that reading good stuff more than once is a good idea. Having read about 50 pages I am struck by how many things I have missed in the past. I was particulalry struck by the way that when the children go to the professor to ask whether they should believe Lucy's story about Narnia we have this.

“Logic!" said the Professor half to himself. "Why don't they teach logic at these schools? There are only three possibilities. Either your sister is telling lies, or she is mad, or she is
telling the truth. You know she doesn't tell lies and it is obvious that she is not mad. For the moment then and unless any further evidence turns up, we must assume that she is telling the truth.”
This is classic Lewisian apologetics using the trilemma, if you know what you are looking at. In his book C S Lewis - The work of Christ revealed P H Brazier has a diagram based on the text

The whole section before all the children enter Narnia is interesting on the matter of witness, as well as other matters.

No comments: