The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 2 2020


A new month has arrived and so we began with communion, which was good. We sang hymns by Faith Cook and Timothy Dudley-Smith (our idea of modern 😏). In the morning meeting I began a new series on the Ten Commandments. I had thought of doing an intro before getting on to the first commandment but in the end combined the two sections okay. I'm also speaking to kids on the same subject using a book I found at the Carey Conference.
In the evening it was the third in the series on Song of Songs. We are still not quite there as I am finding it difficult to streamline the messages in light of having so much material available to me. Hopefully I'll get it just right next week. Among the encouraging things on Sunday was the appearance of members and others who have been missing recently. We also had visitors - an American student newly arrived and a Sri Lankan family living in the area  Hope they stick with us. I sold seven of the ten books by Elizabeth El Mostain, which was good. They are already reprinting I understand (although I don't think Elizabeth has seen the finished product yet).

No comments: