The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Two Days Off Week 37

Two of my grandsons enjoying doughnuts at the wedding

There is an argument for saying not only that  a day off is good for a minister but that two consecutive days off a month can also help. I have tried that once before but it is hard to find time. This month I have been able to do that as we were at a wedding in Wales last Friday and then on the Saturday we went to a birthday bash in Wiltshire. In between we managed to meet up with family and friends. So the wedding was that of Eleri's cousin's daughter Anya to Luke Foxhall from Nantwich. That was a great day in Newport and Cardiff. We saw family there and the next day briefly. I also called in on my sister in Newport briefly as she was having a coffee morning and chatted to my oldest friend. The birthday was a postponed sixtieth for my former elder Robert Strivens in Holt, near Bradford on Avon. So two days of good food and lots of conversation.

No comments: