The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 10 2022


Had me traditional day off last Tuesday. I selected another of my art books - this time on Kandinsky. For the first time I wasn't really convinced. Kandinsky doesn't wow me I'm afraid. Remembering my art project made me check on Amazon which ones I haven't got in the series and so I sent for van Gogh, Monet, etc. Looking at my wish list I saw the book Turn Turn Turn by Steve Turner. This book takes a hundred popular songs in chronological order and teases out their biblical connections, obvious or not. I downloaded a sample and was then hooked, reading about half of it then and more since. The combination of a very good Bible knowledge and a great grasp of popular music from the thirties to the present. I enjoyed the obvious ones, the ones I'd never heard of and the explanations. This is a vast subject and right up my street. Having Alexa around was useful for checking songs referenced. In some ways I'd like to check out the further hearing too (he lists three more recordings for each of the hundred examples).

No comments: