The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Weekend in Guernsey





I spent last weekend in the Channel Island of Guernsey. It was my fourth visit, I believe. It is a lovely island. My connection is that Robert and Elaine Yerby were members here in Childs Hill when I first came. After they married it was hard to find accommodation and so they moved to Elaine's native Guernsey, where Robert was able to find work in banking. They have four grown up children, all living elsewhere at the moment. They are members of La Villiaze Congregationalist church, an independent church Baptist in its make up. Following retirement from the bank. Robert has become their pastor and I was in Guernsey for the induction on the Saturday. About fifty came to that and a nice tea followed. I also preached twice on the Sunday when it was the more usual 15 or so. My wife and I had a really lovely time in Robert and Elaine's beautiful home, full of souvenirs and various knick knacks. We were waited on hand and foot. Reuben Saywell was preaching here.

No comments: