The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Newton House Conference 2022 Day 2


After a night in a nearby hotel (no votes for a noisy soapless room and poor Travelodge - one redeeming feature the TV on which I caught again the close of the episode of Sanditon, featuring Julie Fowlis!) I proceeded to day 2 of the conference. It was quite a trek out there but I had a lift back from Ulsterman Martin McNeely. This was a truncated counterpart to the previous day. We began again with singing and then there were live sessions either side of coffee with Americans Phil Ryken and Bradley Green. Dr Ryken looked at Thomas Boston's Fourfold State in light of the conference theme an had lots of interesting things to say. it was useful to be reminded that Boston like the other Puritans
put the mind first rather than the will but was very much aware of the affections. Dr Green's paper on affections and the knowledge of God was more wide ranging beginning in the Bible (including several interesting proverbs) moving on to Augustine and Pascal and including Nietzsche. Both papers were followed by useful question and answer sessions. Lovely to meet so many friends old and new.
There was an extra afternoon session of questions and answers with Dr Green but I thought I'd better head home. Filling the week with conference material has been interesting. I'm quite stimulated. We'll see if it has really worked tomorrow, I guess.

No comments: