The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Ways the Bible refers to faith as noted by Thomas Charles


Thomas Charles wrote a letter in 813 in which he explained faith to a correspondent by saying
"... Last spring I gave our young people for their exercise, to find out all the names given to faith in the Scriptures. And they set about it, and laboured hard, and at last brought to me seventy-one names given to this grace in the Bible. They learnt all the Scriptures, and repeated them publicly twice in our chapel. I must confess I was most highly gratified and edified; and I believe, received more light upon this important subject than from all the authors I have ever read: and the effect still continues sweetly on my mind ..." Here are ten of those he mentions
  1. Believing God
  2. Believing in the Son of God
  3. Coming to Christ
  4. Receiving Christ
  5. Building upon him
  6. Resting under his shadow
  7. Casting all our cares upon him
  8. Committing our way unto the Lord
  9. Taking hold of his strength
  10. Believing the word/Receiving the word
(He mentions many others such as Seeing the glory of Christ, Looking unto Christ, &c. &c)

No comments: