The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

IPC Catalyst Conference Day 3


Our final day was inevitably unable to top the previous two days but the standard was still excellent. It has grown hotter by the day and despite the kind supply of lollipops that has brought its challenges. Sinclair Ferguson spoke on knowing Christ from Philippians 3, again very helpful. I have heard him speak of the conversion of Paul before but it was good to hear again. I don't think I have heard the rich young ruler allusion before. John Landry Cruse spoke on our response in worship - the importance of being there, of leaning in and then on singing. Good stuff. (I liked his two hymns that we sang.) After lunch (yet another pizza I confess) we had Jonty Rhodes on Christ the King who triumphed over sin, Satan and death and now rules over the church and the world. The final session was from Simon Arscott on church polity. He began with Isaiah 9:6 and did well on the whole, although for me as a Baptist, it seemed he rather assumed the meaning of Acts 15 and ruling elders. Thomas Witherow gives Independents a three out of six apparently in his recently republished book (one of several given away at the conference). I think he was being mean there and we could take a four or a five. Presbyterians meanwhile probably only deserve a theoretical six.
So great three days of conference - mind stretching and warm (in every sense). Loved the opportunity to speak with attendees - mostly Baptist and Welshmen but not exclusively. Many thanks to the organisers. I plane to back next year, God willing.
PS The videos of the conference are up. See here.

No comments: