The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Calvinists lactivists

I stumbled across this recently. My kids are all above the age and I'm not a woman anyway. I don't know if it may be of interest to someone out there though. It shows Calvin to be pro breastfeeding. No surprise there. The real surprise is that it was an issue in his day.
John Calvin, commenting on Gen 21:7:
". . . the Lord does not in vain prepare nutriment for children in their mothers' bosoms, before they are born. But those on whom he confers the honour of mothers, he, in this way, constitutes nurses; and they who deem it a hardship to nourish their own offspring, break, as far as they are able, the sacred bond of nature. If disease, or anything of that kind, is the hindrance, they have a just excuse; but for mothers voluntarily, and for their own pleasure, to avoid the trouble of nursing, and thus to make themselves only half-mothers, is a shameful corruption."
I found this at Tulip Girl and firstly here but I think it has a long history out there.

No comments: