The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Psalm 68:6

God sets the lonely in families
Close observers may recognise this as another of my old Porthcawl pictures. This is me with my wonderful mother. Walking home tonight with my ipod on I was thinking about her and feeling rather sad as she died several years ago.
Anyway as I came round the corner my 17 year old was coming in the opposite direction. We removed an earpiece each and smiled and I told him what I'd been thinking and admonished him to appreciate his mother while he had her (and his dad!). A little further on I saw our car turn into our street and as I arrived home my wife and three other sons were just heading into the house. An obvious caution against dwelling on the past, I think, and a reminder to be thankful for what you've got. Slightly sentimental yes but practical too.

3 comments:

brent said...

Why is it that we don't truly appreciate what we have until it is gone? Your sons cannot possibly know what you are talking about until the time you are gone. Kind of like having kids. There are no words that adaquately describes all it entails. Dad died suddenly almost four years ago now. I have often thought that it would have been good for him to have taught me how to prepare for that moment but I don't know that he could have. One day my sons will stand over my grave in a lonely cemetary with new indiscriptive experiences. I want them to grieve well.

brent said...

Here's something that you inspired:

http://truewisdomblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/grieving-well.html

Peace,

b

Gary Brady said...

Thanks for that. You try adn prepare them but what can you do? On my worst days I despair of getting any ideas across to them at all.