The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Charles III

I've been doing a bit of history recently. I came across this portrait by Van Dyck. I know that the one in the middle is Charles I (clearly before his head was removed). Who are the other two? He wasn't one of triplets was he?

2 comments:

Highland Host said...

Simple. The one on the left is his 'evil genius', whispering to him that he is God's vice-regent on earth and answerable only to God, the one on the right is the 'good genius' telling him to listen to parliament, ease off the Puritans and lower taxes.
Which suggests Charles I must have been deaf in that ear.

Gary Brady said...

Thanks for clearing that up so well. Chopping his head off was rather a drastic treatment for what was only partial deafness.