The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Top Concept Albums 15-11

I thought I'd do a countdown of my favourite 15 concept albums. You can find out about concept albums here.


11. Underwater Sunlight/Tangerine Dream 1986
Instrumental. Theme - under the water. Check here for samples.
Tracks: Theme of the Whale Pt 1, Pt 2, Dolphin Dance, Ride On The Ray, Scuba Scuba, Underwater Twilight

12. Sgt Pepper/Beatles 1967
Theme - adventures of a brass band? Needs no comment. But is it a concept album?

13. China/Vangelis 1979
Theme - China! Almost all instrumental. If you look here you can see the 10 page booklet that went with the original LP. Check here for samples.

14. Pet Sounds/Beach Boys 1966
Theme - God and love and peace. I'd heard of this album many times before finally getting to hear it staying in a house in Pontefract one time. Tracks: 1. Wouldn't It Be Nice 2. You Still Believe In Me 3. That's Not Me 4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) 5. I'm Waiting For The Day 6. Let's Go Away For Awhile 7. Sloop John B 8. God Only Knows 9. I Know There's An Answer 10. Here Today 11. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times 12. Pet Sounds 13. Caroline No

15. In Search of the Lost Chord/Moody Blues 1968
Theme - Searching. Someone gave my parents-in-law a pile of old LPs. That's how I got to hear this. Tracks - "Departure" – :48; "Ride My See-Saw" – 3:37; "Dr. Livingstone, I Presume" – 2:58; "House of Four Doors" – 4:11; "Legend of a Mind" – 6:40; "House of Four Doors Pt. 2" – 1:43; "Voices in the Sky" – 3:32; "The Best Way to Travel" – 3:12; "Visions of Paradise" – 4:15; "The Actor" – 3:09 "The Word" – 0:49 "Om" – 6:27. Check here for samples.

5 comments:

Guy Davies said...

I hope that Ogden's Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces will find a place in your top 15.

Gary Brady said...

Sorry to disappoint. I am familiar with said item and the contribution from Professor Stanely Unwin but sadly ....

Guy Davies said...

What? No Happiness Stan no "Life's just a bowl of all bran/you wake up every moring and it's there."? What are you thinking?

Gary Brady said...

I think that once again this is to to do with age. Quirkily, you being an eighties boy means you're more aware in some ways of the sixties than this seventies boy! Hope you like the Unwin.

Guy Davies said...

Unwin rocks.