The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Last Saturday


Saturday was quite a full day as we'd organised meetings in the morning at chapel and in the evening at home.
In the morning we had a Holiday Bible Club Special for children 4-10. We looked at the story of Jonah using the usual elements - story, singing, memory verse, activity sheet, craft and games. We have a good team and it was fairly easy to get organised although may be we should have publicised more. Only 12 came (half churchy kids, half not), which is less than we hoped for but not entirely useless. Some were still away at the end of half term holiday but the main problem is Saturday morning activities.
[Excursus] {My wife mentioned Karate, swimming, etc. I mistakenly thought she meant karate swimming, which if you could organise it would have every kid in the neighbourhood doing it. My wife and I are often on the wrong wave length. She told me she wanted to buy a dress on sale at Laura Ashley that costs hundreds of pounds but she wanted me to see it first. Well, this is unusual I thought but I'm a kind man. Anyway we drive to Staples Corner and I'm surprised because I didn't think any store there sold dresses. Anyway it's a dresser she's after not a dress in the Laura Ashley homestyle shop!}
In the evening about 20 over 15s squeezed into our house for a get together to remember the Reformation. We had a chat and some food and a few games then our friend Luke Jenner kindly spoke on the Reformation and the centrality of justification by faith. This was the second of a series of new meetings we're trying. It seems to work well with a good variety of people coming along.
PS We're decorating, hence no wallpaper



No comments: