The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 08



I felt a little unwell this morning but I seem to have got better as the day has gone on thanks to some rest and some medication. Most of the day was taken up with lecturing on Song of Songs. Feeling under the weather it was hard work but we got there. I have placed a copy of the book in the Library as I did with the one on Proverbs.
Plenty of rain again later. For tea I was with Pastor Ishmael, one of the three pastors here with Mon and Brian, and his family. They live on site. We had bangus, which is the national fish - very tasty too. I told someone it tasted like chicken and they were surprised as they thought I was talking about batus (aborted chick I think)! The language barrier is a constant theme here. Tonight is the drop-in again and so they are feeding over a hundred and giving them the gospel. This church is a hive of activity. It's lovely to see a working church.
Talking about loving wives and such things all day made me really miss Eleri. Ah well, not so very long now.

No comments: