The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 10

Br

Today, thanks to Brian Ellis, I was a tourist. He took me in his nice air conditioned Toyota out of the city and up into the countryside and to The People's Park in the Sky in Tagaytay City. We stopped en route for a coconut water at one of the many roadside stalls selling bananas, pineapples, etc (no straw - pity!). I had not drunk coconut juice like that for over 25 years. He pointed out the exclusive Tagaytay Highlands where our friends Mark and Abby Raines were married.
The rain came down heavily for a little while and by the time we'd got to the People's Park there were great views. Marcos had a place built here but it is now in ruins. I was then kindly treated to lunch in a nice restaurant. My stomach is not quite right so I'm glad that went okay.
It was great to talk to a fellow minister about the work and such things. Brian stopped to buy fruit on the way back down. I tasted some jack fruit which left my lips gummed together for a while (good thing I guess).
Back in the city we went to see the market with its fish and rice and eggs and fruit and veg. Fascinating.

No comments: