The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 03


The main thing today was travelling over to the CCM homes in Antipolo. A birthday celebration for one of the church's founding members was going when I was picked up by one of the housemothers to be driven over.
There is info about CCM
here but it is way out of date. (This is true for the church website as a whole but will give some idea. What they now have is a big house in a gated community 20 minutes away made up of three separate households of around 10 children each (Emmaus, Galilee and Hebron). It was nice to meet all the girls but how to remember all those mostly unfamiliar names (many beginning with J I notice and often double barrelled)? So I chatted mostly to the house mothers of mission work in the north and the UK, etc but also to the girls a little about Wales and Tagalog, etc.
I then had a lift back via Damascus, the boys' home. The young people were gathering for a meeting so I took a few photos and then headed off. I took a look inside the church being readied for tomorrow. About 7.30 pm Bernie the caretaker kindly brought some food over. His nephew Jose brought me something for breakfast this morning. People are very kind. It will be a privilege to preach tomorrow. Must keep it simple and clear. Link

No comments: