The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Philippines 09


So today was Calvin day. From 9.30 until about 2.45 a good number gathered in the GMA lecture hall to hear three lectures on Calvin. Brian Ellis gave the first on Calvin's life. It was a very helpful introduction. Brian lectures on the Reformation and knows his audience and so was able to highlight the things that needed highlighting. Not knowing my audience and having far too much material as ever I struggled a little on Calvin the theologian. I will try and put the original paper on the blog over the next few days (the first part has been posted). Noel Espinosa gave a fine paper to close on Calvin as pastor and preacher. I will be using some of his quotations for my series. There was time for questions and that was worthwhile and for fellowship over food. I noticed from my guidebook that Filipinos love their food. That certainly seems to be the case - lots of rice and good meat with everything.
I was very kindly given some lovely Filipino gifts (from kultura filipino) to take home as a token of appreciation for my efforts. Very nice. There was also a good bookstall and after Brian took me to see the literature warehouse they have - yet another ministry that I've seen pictures of in the past. Like the other ministries, it is located not far from the church.
I'm out for food with Pastor Mon and his family tonight so that will be good. I think I am going to be a tourist tomorrow - weather permitting.

No comments: