The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Quiet Blog


It's been a bit quiet here of late but that's because I'm having a very busy week with lots of preparation to do for various things. Sunday went off okay, preaching from Mark 11 and Romans 1 still.
On Monday morning I was involved in a last minute interview at LTS. They started again this week. In the afternoon I chaired the Evangelical Library committee, following our final signing for the new building in Bounds Green. Still lots to do yet. We hope to have our new website up and running shortly. Watch this space.
Tuesday I was in the study working hard until the evening when we were joined by Rhodri, Sibyl and her family for a meal, marking the marriage. I don't think there's a proper name for your son's in-laws. There should be. We had a lovely time together.
Wednesday was all meetings, with visits to two old people's homes where I spoke from Genesis 2 and then the evening meeting in the church, looking at Deuteronomy 31. That was a good time with a decent number present. University is about to start though so we'll be less next week I guess. I also fitted in a lift from the hospital for one of our elderly members and took chance to be with Luke Jenner and his friend, Miriam, who were visiting the newly weds with us. Gwion went to see Chelsea v QPR in the Carling Cup that evening, with a new school friend. 1-0 it was and good fun.
During the day on Thursday, after dropping Owain off I spoke at a ministers fraternal just north of here in Welwyn, where Mostyn Roberts is the pastor. About a dozen ministers (most known to me) and wives gathered for two talks with discussion. I spoke on Christ at God's right hand and the intercession of Christ, which I have been trying to study. It brought home to me how little I understand so far. Picked up a copy of Who made God? by Edgar Andrews. After that we loaded up the car and, after tearful farewells at both homes, I drove Rhodri and Sibyl up to Aber. It was a long but pleasant journey towards a glorious sunset. We stopped at MacDonald's in Shrewsbury en route where Sibyl (vegetarian until 13 ) had here first ever Big Mac! The couple who will study in the University, are staying in the manse until the flat round the corner is available.

4 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

great top hear of concrete progress at the library. reminds me I must renew my books!

J

William Wilson said...

Hi Gary good that you are kept busy.And now soon to be able to move into your new place in Bounds green where the Evangelical Libary as your new home.And also the interviews at L.T.S that you have been sharing.Do you know what the price will be for all the John Calvin Conference.Well i am very busy reading for my essay that i have to do.So do have a good week and also on the lord's day.

Paul Burgess said...

No word in Welsh either?
Sumpetheroi in Greek ;-)

Gary Brady said...

Thanks for your comments all. They'll just have to be the sympathetics for now. It'll do.