The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 11/12

Because my sister was away for the Bank Holiday weekend I made two trips down to South Wales to see my dad in the Royal Gwent.
I saw him first on the Friday when he seemed fairly bright though obviously not right. He's lost his appetite for one thing. I tried singing songs with him. We got somewhere with Bobby Darin's "thinking 'bout things" which I enjoyed for the line "thinking 'bout the things we used to do". He enjoyed havinga go at "I did it my way" and "Pennsylvania 65000".
I tried to get some work done in Cardiff and Cwmbran after that. The Saturday session was much less satisfactory as he slept throughout while I sat and read. Nothing would wake him.
Monday afternoon was more like the first session. On bothe occasions I read some more from Mark's Gospel (we're half way through Chapter 4 now) and prayed. On the second occasion when I asked about prayer he agreed and said 'Do it serious' which I'm not sure how to take. When I pointed out some gulls through the window he said he just couldn't care which is classic depression I guess.

2 comments:

William Wilson said...

Hi Gary at least you went down to vist your Dad on that Bank hoilday two days and i still remember him in prayer. And it was good that you read mark's gospel to him even though he was asleep.Want to as you something Gary i am trying to find accomadation near the L.T.S.and cheap like hostel's do you know any in the Finchley area just thought i would ask as it only for one night during the two day's Calvin Confrenece.

Gary Brady said...

William I'm not sure about accommodation. Try contacting LTS. By the wya, I should stress that I only tried reading to my dad when he was awake!