The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Conference

So it proved to be an excellent conference. I can't remember when I came back from one so fired up. We had a good and fairly diverse number present (including some women and others not in the ministry, a smattering of internationals and even a dog collar). The messages varied, of course, but were all worthwhile. Even the discussion was pretty good. The decision to bring Joel Beeke and Sinclair Ferguson across the Atlantic was a wise one, I guess. There was a good spirit in the conference too. The bonus is that this will be a good advert for the John Owen Centre. An excellent time.
PS Quirkiest quote of the two days. Sinclair Ferguson "claritas et brevitas is not one of my fortes".

3 comments:

Marc Lloyd said...

Hello from the dog :)

Gary Brady said...

Wondered if I might lure you out. Nice to meet you Marc. Thanks for the heads up too. (Be honest you've got dog collar on google alert ;-))

Nigel Graham said...

Thanks for the reports Gary...very useful....far better than my illegible scribblings. How do you type so fast?