The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 13

So here I am in South Wales yet again taking advantage of my sister-in-law's hospitality. I've been to see my dad again. He was rather sleepy and difficult to communicate with, though there were lucid moments. We read and prayed again. I asked him what he meant when he asked me to do it serious when praying last time. He said he meant really deep. I am supposing he means really getting through. That is the way to pray.
Before driving down I was in our solicitors' plush offices in Clerkenwell on Evangelical Library business. We're inching forward. Before that, I was back at LTS for a meeting about the mentoring scheme. First thing I had gone with Eleri to Brent Cross for a cuppa as part of the celebrations for her birthday.
 
Dear Eleri,
She's just extraordinary,
My love for her will never vary.
 
Wednesday had been a day of preparation with the prayer meeting in the evening. Monday and Tuesday, of course, were conference days. Somewhere amidst all this I am preparing two sermons for Sunday and trying to read Calvin's sermons on Acts for a discussion group coming up.
Back here Glyn and Fflur's other house guest is a former lodger from Australia who is studying an aspect of the Battle of the Somme. My dad always told me that my grand-dad was at the Somme but I wonder if it was really the battle itself, going on what else I now know. Must look into it all one day. I've also been reading a book on myths of WW1 including the crucified Canadian.

No comments: