The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 10 1974

This was a better day with a good early start at 5.45 and not too bad a day in school.  In the evening after doing someone else's evening paper round (second of the day) I headed off to what we called the CPBSU (Christians Prayer and Bible Study Union I believe). At that time there were a lot of young people in the church and we were very eager. Coming to prayer meeting and young people's meeting in the week wasn't enough for us. We had to have an extra meeting. That evening Paul Belcher, a boy three or four years older than me, led the study on the fall of Jericho. At the end of the day I asked myself "What is my Jericho?" and seemed to be able to think of things. It's not a great question really - not much better than the question arising from my own Bible study in Matthew 17 - "if I had been a disciple would Jesus have taken me on the mount?" (of transfiguration). A lot of self-centred subjectivity then but plenty of Bible intake at least.

No comments: