The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past Diary Jan 13 1974

January 13 was the Lord's Day. I wasn't up until 9.30. Mr Garwood's morning text was John 19:38-42. I don't mention the evening one but I did feel rebuked about a lack of intercession. In the afternoon Bible Class was on John 7:45-8:11 so textual questions were to the fore again. Mr G took the view that the text was only omitted from so many texts for fear of encouraging adultery. I still have a great deal of sympathy with that view today. After evening church it was more of the C T Studd tape. At 52 he decides to head to Africa. Between services I read more Bunyan. At the end of the day I'd mislaid my Bible so used my old one - a little tatty but still AV, of course!

1 comment:

Paul Burgess said...

I heard Kenneth Bailey say that even now in the ME evangelical pastors have rebuked him for preaching on this passage. Reason? It will gicve license to women to be unfaithful to their husbands.